(born 1957) - writer of fiction, television and film scripts, newspaper contributor. Witold Horwath has tried his strength in almost all varieties of popular prose. He has written detective stories published in the periodical Nowy Detektyw ["New Detective"], political fiction, a psychological thriller and a thriller in the style of Frederick Forsyth, and has distinguished himself as the author of an almost classic psychological-moral novel called The Séance (1997). This thoroughly modern romance tells the story of the umpteen-year-old obsessive love of at first a boy, later a mature man for a nymphomaniac alcoholic named Milena. She represents a sort of contemporary incarnation of the modernist femme fatale. The action of the novel is set more or less in the mid-1970s, goes through the next decade and concludes at the beginning of the 1990s. However, it is not the hero's trials and tribulations that are the most interesting element, but the impressive background setting for the events of the novel. It is a real mine of information for anyone researching the morals of the time, or for a sociologist. The author leads his hero through both poverty-stricken areas and oases of wealth in communist Warsaw or Krakow, and unconsciously formulates in his novel a rather unpopular, but wholly true thesis - that the reality of communist Poland was wildly variegated, multicoloured, and in its own way intriguing. When The Séance first came out, Kinga Dunin wrote: "There are practically no novels of this kind in Poland, especially ones that are so well written, with such verve, and a broad social and moral background".
"The problem is that most of today's authors fail to take any notice of the reader. I try to avoid this. I am a professional writer, I write for the reader and I cannot ignore him while I simply amuse myself by experimenting with form."
- Inna wojna (zbiór opowiadań), 1990.
- Święte wilki (powieść), 1992.
- (powieść), Warszawa: W.A.B., 1997; wznow. tamże, 2003.
- Ptakon (powieść), Warszawa: Da Capo, 1998.
- Afrika Korps (zbiór opowiadań), Warszawa: Magazyn Literacki, 1999.
- Ultra Montana, Warszawa: W.A.B., 2005.
- Ptakon, Warszawa: Jirafa Roja, 2006.
- Wspólna chemia, Warszawa: Jirafa Roja, 2006.
- Seance [Seans], trans. Karol Lesman, Breda: De Geus, 2001.
- Séance [Seans], Hamburg: Hoffmann und Campe, 2000.